Stlaware.com

St. Louis Area Reloading Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
What is a modified case for?
Posted by: Guvner
Date: February 27, 2013 02:39AM
I see them and they just look to be an expensive single case. I know they have to be used for something. Being a newbie I just want to know what.

Thanks... Gary

Re: What is a modified case for?
Posted by: 300meters
Date: March 11, 2013 06:05PM
its essentially for setting/determining the proper bullet depth. Proper bullet depth will vary from gun to gun regardless of caliber. For the best accuracy, the bullet should be seated just off the rifling. I believe that the bullet relationship to the throat/rifling is called the "lead". (As in Leading a horse.) Its essentially how far the bullet moves before contacting the rifling.Too long a OAL and the bullet will sit against the rifling, causing pressures to increase when fired. To short and it will affect accuracy, and possibly erode the throat quicker. Bench shooters are VERY picky, and the lead will be spot on every time. This quite often only works though if your loading a single cartridge at a time in your gun. For instance, on my 700's, if I set the lead to where I really WANT, then the cartridge is too long for the box mag, so most times the lead dimension is a compromise, at least for hunters. hope this helps.