Stlaware.com

St. Louis Area Reloading Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Copper plated bullets
Posted by: LOZ_P226
Date: September 14, 2013 03:49PM
New to the forum. Been a re-loader since the mid eighties, mostly for handguns. Currently have a Lee single stage and reload for 38spl, 44spl, 44mag, 9mm Luger, 45ACP, and 30 carbine (my only rifle reload). Looking for opinions and experiences with copper plated bullets ( Rainier, Berry). Everything that I've read says to start with the same load as a lead cast bullet and never exceed the max for the same lead bullet. Supposedly the plating will separate in flight. Has anyone experienced problems with plated bullets? Loss of plating, fouling of the barrel, etc...? Thanks in advance.

Re: Copper plated bullets
Posted by: tgardner
Date: September 15, 2013 11:23PM
I've used the berry bullets since they are made locally, They don't recommend that you push the pistol bullets over 1200 feet per second, the 30-30 bullets you can push them to 1700 feet per second. What the difference is I don't know, but I've shot the 357 plated bullets in my 1894c marlin and not had any trouble. I'll take them at their word, I'm not interested in blowing up a gun.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2013 11:25PM by tgardner.

Posted by: huntnman
Date: September 20, 2013 08:48PM
Within reason the longer a projectile is contained in the barrel the greater effect the pressure curve of the burning powder, has on it.This is why you may be able to use a slower burning powder to help reduce felt recoil (and bullet deformation) and still retain you're velocity. Same exact load in shorter barrel will usually equal less velocity. Any powder that does not burn when the projectile is contained in the barrel is a waste and creates a mess.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2013 08:50PM by huntnman.

Posted by: sixshooter bob
Date: April 04, 2019 07:44PM
Would you be interested in doing my 45lc, have 500, need...have everything but the powder
Thx bob