Stlaware.com

St. Louis Area Reloading Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
A friend of mine who reloads asked me to post this... (it's really not me asking but I want to know..)
Posted by: Guvner
Date: April 11, 2013 07:36PM
They were out of large pistol primers and he picked up magnum large pistol primers figuring he'd just lighten the load. What's the consensus on this? Bad idea? Good idea?

Thanks..

G..

Re: A friend of mine who reloads asked me to post this... (it's really not me asking but I want to know..)
Posted by: Barman54
Date: April 11, 2013 10:34PM
I load my .40 Cal using Mag Small Pistol primers.
I called Sierra and asked them, and I told them what I was loading powder/bullet wise, and they gave me the green light.

I would call them, 1-800-223-8799, I believe they are there till 7pm most days.

They are very knowledable.

Out

Re: A friend of mine who reloads asked me to post this... (it's really not me asking but I want to know..)
Posted by: Barman54
Date: April 13, 2013 06:45AM
I was looking this morning at my L/P primers, the Winchester had both Mag, and Reg. on their label, while the CCI, and Rem does not ?

Out

Posted by: carmwes54
Date: April 13, 2013 03:01PM
On Magnum Primers, I was always thinking you used Magnum Primers for slower burning powders? Some one feel free to throw a shoe at me if I have this backwards. Like Win 296, use Magnum primers etc. Can get confusing. I usually go by what the Reloading info says. Course if I shoot .223 in a Pistol, I'm still using rifle primers. But with .30 Herrett I'm using pistol primers, in what was once a Rifle cartrige. (30-30) OK, then where do my Bench Rest Primers Fall for my .222? Anyone?

Posted by: huntnman
Date: April 16, 2013 08:25PM
Mag primers can increase burn rate,increasing pressure.Best to reduce load watch for high pressure signs when changing components.Even more so If loading near maximum powder charge.