Stlaware.com

St. Louis Area Reloading Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
LED installation on Hornady AP Progressive press. Results..
Posted by: Guvner
Date: March 31, 2013 11:17PM
Finally got the lights and power supplies in. Hornady's surface is a little coarser then the Dillon press so I noticed the stickem wasn't quite as permanent feeling on the Hornady so I beefed it up with some small tie wraps. You might be able to take off the top one if you desire after it's been in place a couple weeks. Here's the install shot from behind the press. (You don't see the lights when standing in front of the press.)

I run the wire down the right side of the press and attach the wire using the shown wire holders. I trimmed down the rear wire holder since it needed to match the casting it was attached to. I drilled a 7/16" hole in the work bench behind the press. You can fill the hole with putty or even plaster it up. I then attached the light by peeling the 3M tape off of it exposing the adhesive surface. It's very important to get that top light to be pointed slightly down so don't be afraid to bend it. I used the tie wraps to hole the light strip whether the adhesive strip is working or not. I also think the light only will need 3 lights as long as the top one is pointed down. It is very bright. (The lights shown in this first post are a strip with 6 LED lights.) Once that is attached stick on the tie wrap holder to the casting as shown. You will need to trim down the second one so it doesn't stick out.

Here's the press showing the light without a flash. The powder is easily viewable even in a dark basement.

Thanks...

G..

Installed with the 3 light strip. As expected that's more then enough light...
Date: April 01, 2013 11:53PM
I used only 3 lights on this install to check if enough light would be available to check powder in a shell. Here's a picture.

I went one step further on my own bench. I decided why waste an extra power supply when one power supply is way overkill for these LED lights. Here's the connection shrink wrapped and a view of both my Dillon and my Hornady showing lit simultaneously.

Final product...
Date: April 02, 2013 12:18AM
Figuring out that 3 LED's per strip was enough and just putting them up high would make it fine. On a Hornady progressive take advantage of that curve inward to make the bulb point down. The Dillon has a pretty bright reflective surface at the top with that machined aluminum so just getting it near the top will reflect all over. Here's the final package minus the tie wraps and wire holders.

Send people here to the forum. If I start a give away the first one will probably have to do with how many people signed on here at your suggestion.

If you just need a recipe of you want to do some swapping let me know.

Thanks..

Guvner..