Stlaware.com

St. Louis Area Reloading Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Had to use the 3 die 45 ACP that I bought without a separate crimping die as many have said you should..
Posted by: Guvner
Date: March 20, 2013 07:34PM
Did go into Grafs in St. Charles and asked if they had any which they didn't so I went about setting the seating/crimping die up for now. My question for anyone who knows concerns what's too much crimping. Here's a couple of pictures of crimps I have on bullets that I took about. Obviously they have different bullet seating depths as I was playing around for quite some time. Those are the crimping indentations on the bullet after taking it apart.

Is that too much? Anyone have their opinion on how to set a crimp when you have to make do with the original setup?

Thanks..

G..

Re: Had to use the 3 die 45 ACP that I bought without a separate crimping die as many have said you should..
Posted by: huntnman
Date: March 21, 2013 03:56PM
Consistent neck tension is required to obtain repeatable performance. Over crimping over works your brass leading to shorter reloading life of the brass.Also can increase chamber pressure.Under crimping can lead to projectile moving inside the case,due to recoil forces,which can be bad(changes over all length) or real BAD(blown up gun).For proper set up follow the instructions that comes with the dies.

Re: Had to use the 3 die 45 ACP that I bought without a separate crimping die as many have said you should..
Posted by: Barman54
Date: March 21, 2013 05:32PM
Use your calipers, and measure the OD of the shell at the mouth.
Measure a sized shell w/o the bullet, then measure a seated round w/o the crimp, then measure a seated round w/the crimp.
It should be closer to the sized shell w/o the bullet.

All auto's will headspace/chamber on the mouth of the shell.

What you are looking for is, close to a sized shell w/o the bullet.

You will have a mark on your bullet, after you taper crimp, just how much ?

When I load my Service Rifles .233, .308, 30.06, I do not crimp, if i did, and pulled the bullet it too would have a crimp indentation on it.

The rifling on your gun will over come the crimp mark from the taper crimp, just keep it minimal..

Barman54

Out