Stlaware.com

St. Louis Area Reloading Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
I had some problems with my Hornady LNL progressive...
Posted by: Guvner
Date: March 14, 2013 10:04PM
After talking to Hornady a few weeks ago and getting new primer sliders because it was having problems indexing the problem started re-occurring and I called them again this past Wednesday. The tech had me do a few things for him and after about 10 minutes of trying different things he told me to box it up and he'd send a shipping tag which he did.

This morning I got an email saying they seemed to have saved the casting and replaced everything else. I've had it for about 3 years but had only made about 60 rounds with it until recently. I haven't seen it yet but it's impressive that their warranty seems to be no nonsense. Extremely competent on the phone and since I have a buddy who is a full fledged tool and die guy I was able to check things their tech said with him and he said they were right on with their description of what they didn't like and why it was coming back.

G..

Re: I had some problems with my Hornady LNL progressive...
Posted by: Guvner
Date: March 19, 2013 10:12PM
I got the press back yesterday and it sure indexes nicely now. I did have a problem not related to the actual press but I'm guessing I got a little lucky when I first set it up. I was thinking I had a problem with the crimping/seating die but tonight I realized the RCBS 45 ACP sizing die really has fits reaching down to the bottom of the shell plate. I had it up just a tiny bit so I had a thread's worth of travel to tighten the locking nut up on the die. WRONG...

When they want you to kiss the top of the shell holder they must have meant it. The RCBS will not get down that far on a LNL press. Worked fine on the Dillon. I'm still almost an 1/8 of an inch up at it's lowest.

I then ran the locking nut back as far as it would go and then tightened the die down as far as it would go. That worked. I had no further over sized cases. I originally went looking for a separate crimping die tonight figuring that was the problem but there's none available anyway so I had to make do with the 3 die set.

Thanks...

G..