Stlaware.com

St. Louis Area Reloading Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Question on the why's of load differences on one bullet versus another..
Posted by: Guvner
Date: March 08, 2013 02:40PM
If you are loading 45 auto and you match a 230 grain lead bullet using Hodgdon HP-38 according to Hodgdon tables you are topping out at 5.3 grains of powder while if you go with a lighter bullet,

a Hornady 185 grain, HP XTP bullet, using the same HP-38 powder you now are told to load 6.5 to 6.9 grains according to the Hornady book.

Is it just the pressure that might build up from the heavier bullet or is there something else?

G..

Re: Question on the why's of load differences on one bullet versus another..
Posted by: Barman54
Date: March 08, 2013 05:09PM
Guvner,

I have noticed the same thing as I have been loading since 1986.

Heavier bullet less powder.
Lighter bullet more powder.

Next time I call Sierra for a load check, I will ask them, but I believe you are correct.

They are open to anyone calling them, 1-800-223-8799., ask for a Ballistion.

Barman54

Out

Posted by: bday
Date: March 10, 2013 09:29PM
Guv,
I believe that the additional amount of powder is needed to cycle the slide. I think it has to do with back pressure. I have loaded 9mm 115 grain bullets with 4.1 grains of bulls eye and have to load 95 grain bullets with 4.6 grains of bulls eye in order for the slide to operate correctly on my block.

Posted by: Barman54
Date: March 10, 2013 09:55PM
Lawyer's and Liability ?

I have some Manual's when I first started, the new ones I have, the charges are reduced ?

Out

Posted by: starvin
Date: March 13, 2013 10:23PM
Another thing you should remember. Even though we have been reloading for awhile, please understand that the powder manufacturing is always changing. In that not all propellants we will be the same lot to lot. Please get the latest powder manufactures reloading manual as well as the bullet makers. Bullet jackets are of different hardness and this can and does cause pressure problems. Take care.