Stlaware.com

St. Louis Area Reloading Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
This video is hard to understand but he covers some bases that I hadn't seen and is worth a look if you are collecting used brass to reload...
Posted by: Guvner
Date: March 03, 2013 03:12PM
Looks like I have a bunch of homework to do on sorting used brass. I haven't a clue about military crimping and it sounds like there's some kind of crimping I didn't even know about on the primers. He also saw something he didn't like on a 45 ACP shell that I rewound 20 times trying to see what he didn't like about the primer pocket and it's possible tendency to not seal. His last section where he sorted things lost me but will re-watch it after I learn more.

For instance, I hadn't ever heard anything about not re-using small primer 45 ACP brass. Anyone??

G..

Re: This video is hard to understand but he covers some bases that I hadn't seen and is worth a look if you are collecting used brass to reload...
Posted by: Barman54
Date: March 03, 2013 03:40PM
I sort my pistol brass by caliber, Manufacture, year if there is one., after I have tumbled them clean.

The small pistol primers in the .45 ACP is something new, I have not found any yet.

Primer pocket crimp removal is needed on Military brass, once.
Military spec's calls for it, as they do not want the primer to back out, while firing it in a full auto weapon.
I use the Dillon swager to remove the crimp, you only need to do this once.

The Greek ammo for the 30.06,has a very light 3 point crimp, real easy to remove, LC, and other American spec shells have a heavy crimp.

I have never, or heard anyone trim pistol cases, especially .45 ACP, Rifle cases yes as the grow after sizing.
I have .45 ACP that I have loaded 9 times and have not need trimming.

Barman54

Out