Stlaware.com

St. Louis Area Reloading Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
I am going to go out on a limb and ask Barman if this is what he was referring to when he talked about matching your bullet to your rifle...
Posted by: Guvner
Date: March 02, 2013 10:42PM
This Youtube video seemed to offer a precise way to seat your bullet to the proper depth for your particular gun..

Thanks..

G..

Re: I am going to go out on a limb and ask Barman if this is what he was referring to when he talked about matching your bullet to your rifle...
Posted by: Barman54
Date: March 03, 2013 06:21AM
I do the same thing, but I use a Stoney Point tool, and each caliber .233, .308, 30.06, I have their special shell, which screws into it, and the mouth is over sized to allow the bullet to move freely.

I use the bullet I want to fire, usually an 80 for the .223, a 175 for the .308, and 30.06.

I then place the bullet in the chamber, and push it till it touches the lands, lock the setting, remove the tool, and bullet.
Then put the bullet back on the shell outside the rifle, and measure the OAL, I do this about 10 to 12 times, and write down the measurements.

I take the average, and that is what I use for my OAL.

I shoot Service Rifle, and I cannot do what the Benchrest guys do as mine are Semi-Auto, not a Bolt Action.

Again the Benchrest, and Service Rifle guys, are loading them individually, to reduce that bullet jump, which will improve your accuraccy.

You cannot do this for your Deer hunting loads, as they will not fit in your Magazine.

Barman54

Out