Stlaware.com

Missouri Concealed Carry Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Accidental exposure?
Posted by: Chap321
Date: October 24, 2011 12:34PM
I can't seem to find anything in the MO statutes regarding accidental exposure of a concealed firearm. I spend most of my time in Rolla, but also spend some weekends in STL County. I'm not familiar with the open carry statutes of these counties either, though I bet Rolla is safe, STL isn't.

I'd guess that any accidental exposure would be backed up by Rolla's open carry laws, but is there any provision for an accidental exposure in STL county?

I try to keep as concealed as possible, but sometimes printing and the occasional exposure happen if I need to bend over.

Re: Accidental exposure?
Posted by: jeffstl
Date: October 26, 2011 04:17PM
Chap321,

Here's my experience with it.

I'd guess that any accidental exposure would be backed up by Rolla's open carry laws, but is there any provision for an accidental exposure in STL county?

St. Louis County doesn't have a countywide open carry law. It is up to the local municipalities to decide, which can get very dicey. Maplewood recently banned open carry due to an incident at the local Walmart.

I try to keep as concealed as possible, but sometimes printing and the occasional exposure happen if I need to bend over.

Printing shouldn't be an issue as it is technically concealed. Accidental exposure could be a little different. I was told that the exposure would have to be seen from two different angles. Your mileage may vary. While we all try to conceal as best as possible and plan as well as we can for it, life does happen. My experience has been that most people don't notice it printing and those that do won't connect it with CCW.

Hope this helps you out.

Posted by: Chap321
Date: October 28, 2011 03:22AM
Thanks for the advice! :cheers:

Posted by: sirbergersworth
Date: September 13, 2012 11:14PM
Chap321
I can't seem to find anything in the MO statutes regarding accidental exposure of a concealed firearm. I spend most of my time in Rolla, but also spend some weekends in STL County. I'm not familiar with the open carry statutes of these counties either, though I bet Rolla is safe, STL isn't.

Here are the newest changes in MO.
http://stlccw.com/2012.htm

My first post I believe hope I helped.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2012 11:15PM by sirbergersworth.

Posted by: CCWTrainer
Date: September 14, 2012 12:09AM
from the Links section on my site under "2012 Changes to MO CCW law"

>>>
Any person who has a valid concealed carry endorsement and is lawfully carrying a firearm in a concealed manner may briefly and openly display the firearm to the ordinary sight of another person, unless the firearm is intentionally displayed in an angry or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense.
<<<

Greg
http://www.stlccw.com/