Stlaware.com

Missouri Concealed Carry Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Laser Grips?
Posted by: Chap321
Date: June 14, 2011 08:16PM
Hello everyone! I've acquired a Smith & Wesson 442, and I love it. The gun shop had some with laser grips on them, but I opted out (didn't want them originally, plus I can get them cheaper). Since I've looked in to the issue, MANY people who carry similar snub - revolvers love their laser grips. What are your thoughts?

I'd love to try them, but my only concern is this... All my training and practice has revolved around front sight post focus. The sights on the 442 are "eh," but I don't expect much from a pocket gun. They will definitely suffice, however.

Would you recommend I give them a shot? I know it will take some practice to get used to target focus, as opposed to sight post focus. Thanks for your thoughts! By the way, awesome class Greg! Loved it!

Re: Laser Grips?
Posted by: CCWTrainer
Date: June 16, 2011 11:34PM
I have laser grips on a Smith snub and now that I tested it and the newness has worn off I never turn the laser on anymore for practice. I always carry with the laser on though. If that red dot convinces the threat to flee before I have to pull the trigger it was a cheap investment. The longer Crimson Trace grips with a master switch on the bottom in addition to the activator button under the finger are what I settled on. Not only were the smaller boot grips too small for my hand, they lacked an on-off switch so I got rid of them and opted for the larger set.

Keep your normal target acquisition for fastest acquire with or without the laser. Better to have the dot just appear where it should and then change focus to it than to build a habit of looking for it and then moving it to the threat.
You will naturally change focus to the red dot with no re-training whenever it appears and draws your attention.

Greg
http://www.stlccw.com/

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2011 04:37PM by CCWTrainer.

Re: Laser Grips?
Posted by: Chap321
Date: June 20, 2011 12:32AM
Thanks for the input! I may throw a pair on...