Stlaware.com

Missouri Concealed Carry Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
If you think you're fairly incognito think again.. This is out there..
Posted by: Guvner
Date: January 18, 2011 10:33AM
You may just get a chance to defend your home. Just go visit http://www.spokeo.com and type in a few names such as retired parents, yourself, girlfriends, etc. More often then not the site comes up with a picture of the house from street level showing a 360 degree view of the neighborhood, exact address, phone number, age of the occupant, value of the house, single or married, etc. My parents are shown to be in their 80's along with the value of their house to go with a fine picture from the street as well as their phone number to check if they are home. Yeeeeccchhh....

Guvner..

Re: If you think you're fairly incognito think again.. This is out there..
Posted by: SallyW
Date: February 01, 2011 11:34AM
And just how do we get our names off this horror?!
I just looked up my daughter and SIL, ariel view of their home and all the information as you said.

Date: February 01, 2011 11:45AM
Okay, my daughter just sent me this message:

It's just aggrigated information collected off facebook, linkedin, etc. It's all crap that you can find anywhere on the internet.
Unless you put your information out on the internet like an idiot, you wont be there
and if you are...it's just the basic info that you can find in white pages or google.

She said it gets discovered every now and then, then dies out again. It's a promo thing to join Spokeo.
My husband and I aren't on it.

I'm over it.

Posted by: CCWTrainer
Date: February 01, 2011 11:45AM
Facebook is a disaster for your privacy and it amazes me that people post things like;
"sigh, my husband is out of town for a couple days and I'm bored" or "We're going to Disneyworld next week!"
While these are obviously (to most, anyway) idiot maneuvers, I bet most people don't know that if you take a picture with a cell phone and then post it on the web you are giving your location to anyone who wants to look. Most cell phones have a GPS and embed the location where the picture was taken. It's simple for anyone who knows how to see where you are from your pictures.

Perhaps spokeo should start getting registered letters demanding removal and informing them that they will be held liable in civil court if these listings lead to bad things happening.

I don't see a contact form but a whois lookup turned up the following:

Domain name: spokeo.com

Administrative Contact:
Spokeo, Inc.
Network Administrator ()
+1.6263969499
Fax:
556 S Fair Oaks Ave
Ste 101-179
Pasadena, CA 91105
US

Technical Contact:
Spokeo, Inc.
Network Administrator ()
+1.6263969499
Fax:
556 S Fair Oaks Ave
Ste 101-179
Pasadena, CA 91105
US

Registrant Contact:
Spokeo, Inc.
Network Administrator ()

Fax:
556 S Fair Oaks Ave
Ste 101-179
Pasadena, CA 91105
US

Creation date: 04 Apr 2006 22:31:56
Expiration date: 04 Apr 2020 22:31:00

Greg
http://www.stlccw.com/

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2011 11:55AM by CCWTrainer.

They responded to my irate email...
Posted by: Guvner
Date: February 01, 2011 12:06PM
Their system will only allow you to remove up to two names. I told them I wanted to remove my parents home and my wife's parents and wanted to use the same email address and added they would be liable for anything that might befall them in the interim noting I had saved copies of my email and the readout of the information of the homes in question. They sent an email back about 3 days later asking for the names.

Guvner..

Re: They responded to my irate email...
Date: February 01, 2011 12:51PM
Thank You!