Stlaware.com

Missouri Concealed Carry Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
What gun or gun brands do you recommend?
Posted by: Guvner
Date: January 30, 2010 05:52PM
I've already settled on a semi-auto, the Glock 36 so I'm more concerned with the revolver end.

What revolver do you personally like? (Brand, etc.) I've been looking at the S&W Airweight series of 38 + guns. I'm not totally sure that's the way I want to go yet but that's the way I'm leaning. I already have the Glock 36 for a semi-auto but after your class I was looking again. I was offered a trade in of $600 for both my S&W Sigma .40 and my Taurus 1911 .45 which seemed fair for a guy that wants to turn a profit selling them.

What other guns do you recommend I look at before making up my mind?

Thanks... Gary

Re: What gun or gun brands do you recommend?
Posted by: CCWTrainer
Date: January 30, 2010 06:03PM
I like S&W for revolvers and you can't go wrong with that airweight. You should keep in mind however that everything is a trade-off. A lighter gun is easier to carry but absorbs no recoil. This means YOU absorb it. My wife likes her airweight .38 and it's small enough that if she needs it it WILL be with her and not left at home. She practices with a S&W snub revolver chambered in.22 LR though, because that airweight .38 kicks like a mule. The .22 offers the exact same manual of arms but with low recoil that builds good habits without a flinch. The alternative would be to have someone you know who is into reloading make you some really light .38 loads.

I'm not going to comment on pricing or trade-in value because it has been too many years since I was a gun dealer so I don't want venture into that area as I have little current knowledge on values.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2010 06:07PM by CCWTrainer.

Posted by: Guvner
Date: January 30, 2010 06:35PM
Since your wife has that gun which Airweight do you prefer? No hammer or hidden hammer?

Thanks... G..

Date: January 30, 2010 06:47PM
I suppose the shrouded hammer because the option of cocking it remains. I don't consider it a big plus though because we train for double-action shooting and it's not exactly suited to precise target work anyway.

Posted by: DrBobinMO
Date: January 30, 2010 07:34PM
The new Ruger LCR seems to be getting a lot of buzz lately. I have not had a chance to try one out yet though but that may be a good one to research and consider.

Ruger LCR
Date: January 31, 2010 04:39AM
I have seen quite a few of these and they are very good little pocket revolvers. The usual caveats about lightweight guns apply but I have learned to ignore recoil for the most part over the years so it's not an issue for me. I am really impressed by the trigger on it. Light and very smooth would be how I would describe it. As with any radical new design, the jury is still out on durability. Past Rugers have been very heavy and almost indestructible. We'll just have to see how this new lightweight fares over time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2010 08:38PM by CCWTrainer.

Posted by: jorville82
Date: February 04, 2010 04:46PM
I also like the Ruger LCR. I got one for carrying in the standard Hogue grips and it's great. It fits like a glove and recoil isn't bad with standard P loads, but it'll suprise you the first time you put +P through it. For a snubby, I have actually gotten pretty good with it. Like all handguns you just have to shoot it enough to get a feel for where it shoots. The price tag is also pretty good for a "revolutionary" model ($420 with Hogue grips & $650 with Crimson laser grips). Hope that helps.

Does anyone have any experience with the Walther P99 compacts or the new Ruger SR9c? I'm a little impartial to Rugers, but I love my Walther P22.