Stlaware.com

Missouri Concealed Carry Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
purse carry
Posted by: jsheppard
Date: January 17, 2013 10:18PM
Is it true that a woman does not need a ccw permit to carry a handgun in her purse?

Re: purse carry
Posted by: CCWTrainer
Date: January 29, 2013 06:38AM
Not true. A license is needed to conceal a weapon on or about your person unless you are on your property or in your car.
Here are some thoughts on purse carry.

While the law considers a gun in your purse carrying a concealed weapon, from a tactical standpoint, keeping your gun in a purse, is NOT carrying. Consider;
if you're pumping gas when accosted and your gun is in your purse in the car, you lose.
If you're at the office vending machine when the nut walks in with an AK and your gun is in your purse in your bottom desk drawer, you lose.

Actually it's worse than not carrying because it amounts to not carrying with the added danger of a gun falling into the wrong hands. The safest place for a weapon to be is attached to the person responsible for its use and you WILL set a purse down and step away from it.

Your gun is not supposed to live in a carry purse anyway That's a mis-understanding of what one is for. They are meant to conceal the fact that you have a gun IN YOUR HAND. Carry purses have very short straps that are intended to go over the shoulder so the purse is pressed between the forearm and ribs at all times. The side opening is intended to be carried open in front with the other hand inserted, holding the gun in a shooting grip while concealed. When someone hits you from behind at a run and rips the purse off your arm, you watch them run away with your purse, but you still have your gun in hand. Use one any other way and you are virtually assured of starting any confrontation by fighting over your gun, because the purse is the bad guy's first target.

An elastic belly band that has a holster sewn in will keep any small gun on-body and they can be wrapped any way and you'll be better off for it.

Greg
http://www.stlccw.com/

Re: purse carry
Posted by: jsheppard
Date: January 29, 2013 12:28PM
Thanks, I did not think so. I was told it was. I already told her that purse carry was not a good idea anyway.