Stlaware.com

St. Louis Metro Legal Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
SIS vs CCW
Posted by: stevo0001
Date: March 27, 2010 04:19PM
I had a misdemeanor possession charge for Marijuana and Plea-Bargained for SIS Probation, the probation has been up for over a year now, but the possession charge was less than 4 years ago, will this affect my ability to get a CCW endorsement, or is it better to wait 5 yr after the conviction.

Re: SIS vs CCW
Posted by: attyc
Date: March 27, 2010 05:21PM
The law reads that you cannot have any drug related "convictions" in the past five years. An SIS is not a conviction as no sentence is imposed. The imposition of sentence has been suspended.I would apply now.

Amy M. Christiansen, Esq.
Attorney at Law
The Christiansen Law Firm, LLC
100 Chesterfield Business Parkway, Ste. 200
Chesterfield, Missouri 63005
Office: (636) 681-1387
Facsimile: (636) 681-1293
E-mail: amyc@thechristiansenlawfirm.com
Please visit our website at: www.thechristiansenlawfirm.com

Posted by: stevo0001
Date: March 28, 2010 11:47AM
Thanks for the help, I will go Tuesday to apply. I will post for others to read what the results were. Thank you for the help, I had been in contact with an attorney, and was told the same thing. And also asked why i would want to wait. As far as the application fee is concerned, I am not so worried about losing the application fee money, but just wanted professional advice. Thanks again and have a wonderful day.

Posted by: CCWTrainer
Date: February 01, 2011 06:16PM
I get calls about this from people who took my class and then get denied because they overlooked something in their past that they thought had gone away. I send my students who find themselves denied for this in MO the paperwork to apply in Florida. Florida says if it was over 3 years ago and not a crime of violence you are good to go. Their license is legal here, and you can get a non-resident from them through the mail.

For those with an SIS problem that WAS for a felony, the law for purchase of a handgun says not ever convicted of a felony.
The MO concealed carry licensing law says you never plead guilty or no contest to one. Almost the same requirement, but you had to plead guilty to get SIS. if it was for felony possession you would have been denied even though you can buy handguns and have no conviction on your record.

Greg
http://www.stlccw.com/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2011 06:21PM by CCWTrainer.