Stlaware.com

Missouri Concealed Carry Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
What does MO CCW really give you?
Posted by: Knackebrot
Date: July 20, 2011 05:40PM
I understand that conceal and carry allows you to carry a concealed firearm.

However, what about batons? Knives? Knuckles? etc. Does the conceal carry license cover those as well?

Re: What does MO CCW really give you?
Posted by: CCWTrainer
Date: July 21, 2011 07:49AM
I know a lawyer who reads the MO concealed carry law to mean you can carry any (legal) weapon you want.

There was a prosecutor who disagreed and charged someone for carrying other than a handgun. He lost but did not appeal so it did not become case law. What this means is if another prosecutor wanted to say you can only carry a handgun, there is nothing to stop him from trying that case again. It takes an appeals court decision to create case law.

Greg
http://www.stlccw.com/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2011 07:50AM by CCWTrainer.

Posted by: Knackebrot
Date: July 21, 2011 12:00PM
So does that mean that I am still limited to a 4" knife? or any knife that I can conceal?

Posted by: CCWTrainer
Date: July 21, 2011 12:17PM
I think you're looking for something you aren't going to get (a simple yes or no). The law isn't going to be black and white here. The grey area is the difference between what they intended when they wrote it and how it gets enforced, along with how the courts interpret it after it gets enforced, rightly or wrongly.

When that prosecutor lost and didn't appeal it, the door was left open for another prosecutor to charge you for carrying something other than a handgun too. You'll probably win, just like the other guy did, so I guess it boils down to how much money you're willing to spend on lawyers. We have the right to do lots of things. We may need to get out a checkbook to enforce those rights though. I would err on the side of caution.

Greg
http://www.stlccw.com/

Posted by: jeffstl
Date: August 05, 2011 10:38AM
The Missouri Highway Patrol put out a document in 2010 that is confusing. They don't mention in writing that knives aren't allowed, but there is a picture of a knife that is crossed out.

www.mshp.dps.mo.gov/MSHPWeb/Publications/Brochures/documents/SHP-863.pdf

Jeff