Stlaware.com

Missouri Concealed Carry Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Follow Up Questions from Class
Posted by: scottv
Date: April 16, 2010 05:57PM
First off, thanks for the great classes last Tuesday and Wednesday. I am considering your advice on a revolver, but plan to carry my Glock 23 at least some of the time. I have picked up Snap Caps and am working to get better, so my questions are specific to the Glock. First, I have read multiple opinions on the Glock trigger. Some say it is too heavy at 5.5 pounds. I see your website offers a 3.5 pound model. Others say it's too light, especially without an external safety. Apparently, some law enforcement agencies go with 7 or 8 pounds. And some recommend installing an external safety. Any advice?

Second, I see you have various holsters on your website. I'm thinking Inside the Waistband, and most authors seem to recommend behind the hip. Any thoughts on a specific brand? Would you recommend one with some type of retention system?

Third, I have the fixed, factory sights. I read a lot about the Tritium night sights. Are they worth the $$? Any particular brand? Can I install them myself?

By the way, I applied for my CCW license on Friday in St. Charles County. For your future students, the Sheriff's Department is on the corner of Tom Ginnever Road and Sheriff Dierker Court, across from Fort Zumwalt North High School. They were very friendly, and seemed genuinely happy that I was applying. I don't think the average person expects that.

Re: Follow Up Questions from Class
Posted by: CCWTrainer
Date: April 16, 2010 09:36PM
Safety with a Glock is all about trigger finger discipline. Until you put your finger on the trigger, you won't fire a shot. My Glock has the 3.5 lb trigger and I love it. The 5.5 isn't bad though. The one that they make some police use IS obnoxious. The only add on safety for the Glock that I ever heard about is a plug that wedges behind the trigger and is simply popped out by the trigger finger to clear the way.

I've never been an advocate of cheap holsters, but it might be a good idea to use one to carry your intended gun in the intended position for awhile to be sure it's what you want before you spend real money on a good one. The better ones are form fitted and if you change guns you need another.

I like Mitch Rosen or Milt Sparks holsters. I have a couple of each available for inspection at my classes and Google will take you to either.

I like the tritiums on my HK. For the money, you may want to just put a laser on it though. They are a little more but if that red dot prevents you from having to pull the trigger, the money was more than well spent. You can do most installations yourself if you are reasonably handy. There is a tool available for changing Glock sites.

Thanks for the insight into your local department's application process. I'm sure others will be glad for your input.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2011 09:03PM by CCWTrainer.